Ingeteam Commissions 20MWh Bess Co-Located With Wind Farm In Australia

Spain-based energy conversion equipment specialist Ingeteam has commissioned a 10MW/20MWh battery energy storage system at a wind farm in Australia.
Utility Naturgy selected Ingeteam for the project which has seen the latter supply the battery containers, power conversion systems, control system, and assemble, commission and then operate the BESS unit.
The contract to Ingeteam was awarded by Global Power Generation (GPG), which is 75% owned by Naturgy with the Kuwait investment Authority holding the remaining 25%.
The BESS is ‘associated’ with the 109M Berrybank 2 wind farm the state of Victoria, which GPG will begin operating in the coming months, a press release said.
However, the BESS itself is located in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) within the neighbouring state of New South Wales, and will support the ACT distribution network of the Queanbeyan substation.
“This project has been a real challenge for us, since it involved an integral supply (power stations, battery containers, control system, etc.) for a project developed in the antipodes and everything this in a very complicated context due to the numerous restrictions posed by the pandemic,” said José Antonio Unanue, director of Ingeteam’s BESS division.
“It would not have been possible to successfully complete this project if we had not had the fundamental contribution of our subsidiary in Australia. That is why from the BESS business we are very satisfied and proud to have carried it out successfully.”
The company supplied four 2.5MW/5MWh battery enclosures and two of its all-in-on power conversion systems (with inverters, transformers, medium voltage cells and more).
Ingeteam, whose head office is near Bilbao, has deployed systems for numerous co-located projects in the last few years. In 2020, it supplied a 50MWh system at a large wind farm in Scotland while in 2022 it has deployed units at green hydrogen and solar-plus-storage projects, both on home soil.